The deadline for the inaugural 2023 Plein Air Competition is fast approaching at the Lake County Fair! The deadline for artists to enter is March 30.
What is plein art?
Essentially it’s painting outdoors and creating a work of art in the moment. According to the Artist Network, the practice goes back for centuries but was truly made into an art form by the French Impressionists. Their desire to paint light and its changing, ephemeral qualities, coupled with the creation of transportable paint tubes and the box easel—the precursor to the plein air easels of today—allowed artists the freedom to paint “en plein air,” which is the French expression for “in the open air.”
The competition will take place on Saturday, April 8 for a day of Plein Air Painting. Residents of Lake County, professional, semi-professional and amateur artists ages 18 and older, will spend the day painting and/or drawing the exciting activities at this year’s fair. Artis will be creating an intense impression of the moment in the open air. Twenty people will have a chance to win cash prizes, free framing, pictures displayed at the fair, options to sell and more.
- *Spirit of the Fair $250 (The painting that most exemplifies the traditions and spirit of the Lake County Fair)
- *First Place $200
- *Second Place $150
- *Third Place $100
Who Can Enter?
- All residents of Lake County, ages 18 and older
- Open to professional, semi-professional and amateur artists – Oils, Acrylics, Watercolor, Pastels $ Graphite
- Contest is limited to 20 Participants
- Free Frame and Framing of Entry by Village Framer & Art Gallery, Eustis
- Lunch provided by The Crazy Gator, Eustis
- $20 registration fee to Enter
- 1 FREE Fair ticket to all contestants to return to the Fair
- Easy Online registration
- Have your paintings on display throughout the Fair and you have the option to sell your painting
- Drinks, Snacks and more will be provided
- Swag Bag from the City of Eustis
- March 30 Entry Form & Registration Fee Due
- April 8 Plein Air Competition Day
- 9am-11am Check into the Art Barn
11am – 8pm Painting time period in ticketed area of Lake County Fairgrounds
- April 10 Winners will be announced
- April 10-15 All artwork will be displayed until the end of the Fair
How to Enter:
Go to www.lakecofair.com, scroll down the page and click on Special Events and On-Site Contest. Then click on Plein Air Registration. Registration cost $3.75.
Questions? Please contact Leah Fischer at 352-551-7407 or LCFCreativeLiving@gmail.com.
This event is Sponsored by Village Framer & Art Gallery and hosted by the Lake County Fair’s Creative Living Department. Deadline to enter is March 30th. For More Information, Please Visit www.LakeCoFair.com