In the 18 years since it opened in Lake and Sumter Counties, the Florida Retina Institute (celebrating 40 years) has grown from a small practice, to what is now considered the largest Vitreoretinal Disease and Surgery practice in the area.
With that, the Institute takes great pride and feels fortunate to have developed a group of extremely well-trained, top-notch physicians, all with the same focus of providing quality care in a very positive environment to all their patients.
In Lake and Sumter, patients are seen at offices located in Lady Lake, Mount Dora, and Clermont.
Elias Mavrofrides, MD
- Bachelors of Science degree from University of Florida, medical degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine.
- Board-Certified, Fellowship Trained Vitreoretinal Specialist at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.
- Joined in August 2004.
“My goal is to try and take what I say are really stressful problems and sometimes anxiety provoking treatments, and help patients relax and have a positive experience. It’s a very gratifying job,” says Dr. Mavrofrides.
Alexander Barnes, MD
- Bachelor of Science, Arizona StateUniversity, Barrett Honors College, Doctor of Medicine, Tufts UniversitySchool of Medicine.
- Board-certified, Fellowship trained Vitreoretinal Specialist at Emory University.
- Joined in August 2020.
“There is no better feeling than being able to intervene on sight-threatening complications so that a patients can continue to enjoy the things they love to do,” says Dr. Barnes.
S.K. Steven Houston III, MD, FASRS
- Bachelor of Science, Materials Science and Engineering, University of Florida Doctorate of Medicine, University of Virginia, School of Medicine.
- Board-Certified, Fellowship Trained Vitreoretinal Specialist at Wills Eye Hospital.
- Joined in July 2015.
“I take great pride in being a board-certified Vitreoretinal Surgeon and, very much enjoy taking care of my patients. Spending time in the OR, particularly with all the available new technologies, instruments, and visualization systems, is most exciting and fulfilling to me,” says Dr. Houston.
Jaya B. Kumar, MD, FASRS
- Honors Bachelor of Science, Saint Louis University, Doctorate of Medicine, Saint Louis University.
- Board-Certified, Fellowship Trained Vitreoretinal Specialist at Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
- Joined in August 2018.
“Despite the challenging and humbling experiences we face throughout our careers, there are these precious moments we can bring to our patients by restoring their vision,” says Dr. Kumar.
Matthew Cunningham, MD, FASRS
- Bachelor of Science, Interdisciplinary Studies in Basic Biomedical Sciences Cum Laude, University of Florida, Doctor of Medicine Cum Laude with Honors in Research, University of Florida College of Medicine.
- Board-Certified, Fellowship Trained Vitreoretinal Specialist at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
- Joined in 2013.
“Retina is not a one-sized fit all specialty and I tailor treatment recommendations using a personalized, but research-driven, approach. Every patient is important to me and I treat every patient like they are family,” says Dr. Cunningham.